Groundnut chutney is a very tasty accompaniment that can be served with idli or dosa. It was during last winter that I first made it, and since then , it has become a routine.
Usually, roasted groundnuts are grinded with green chillies and salt along with a little tamarind pulp. But, I have made a slight variation here. The consistency was dense, adding a little coconut was appropriate and a dash of ginger gave more taste to it..
- Roasted groundnuts 1/2 cup
- coconut 1tsp
- green chilly 2
- curry leaves a few
- ginger 1/2 inch
- tamarind pulp 1tsp
- salt to taste
- water very little
- oil 1/2tsp
Take oil in a kadai, roast the green chillies. curry leaves and ginger. Grind all ingredients together with a little water. Serve with idli or dosa. Seasoning may be added.
This is another kind of rasam, the name “Kattina Saaru” comes from Kannada language meaning filterate and “saaru ” is rasam. Here, the water that is used in cooking the tuvar dal, is used for the rasam and the cooked dal, that is the residue, is used to make a special kind of sweet, stuffed pancakes (holige) or alternatively can be used to make dal fry.
Tur dal 250 grams
Tamarind lemon sized ball
Rasam powder 3tsp
Jaggery marble sized ball
salt to taste
mustard 1/2 tsp
turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
curry leaves a few
coriander leaves for garnishing
Pre requisites :
- Cook dal with sufficient quantity in the pressure cooker. If water is less, add some more and allow to stand for sometime before using.
- Soak tamarind for half an hour in water,
- Chop tomato into small pieces,
To make :
Take a pan and add the ghee to it. Make seasoning by adding the mustard seeds, when they crackle, add the asafoetida and turmeric powder. To it , add the chopped tomato and salt along with sufficient quantity of water. Adding of water, will prevent the tomatoes from getting burnt. When cooked, add the tamarind pulp, rasam powder, chilly powder, jaggery along with a few curry leaves. Let boil for sometime. Now, add the dal water to it. If you find it less, add some more water to the cooked dal, let stand for awhile before pouring it. Allow to boil on a low flame. Kattina Saru or Special rasam is ready to serve.
Note : This needs a slightly more of tamarind pulp and jaggery than the previous make.
Hope you liked these two rasams of mine. Would love to have your feedback.
SUBSCRIBE TO GET A BOOK !
Continuing our blog hop, the theme is “Kofta Curry”. Thankyou to my blog hop girls for making this journey more interesting.
Koftas are small balls made by deep or shallow frying. They are immersed in the gravy . This is a North Indian dish. The koftas and gravy are made of different kinds. Here is one kind which is immensly liked by all.
Rasam is popular accompaniment with rice in South India. Our food seems to be incomplete without rice and rasam. Called by various names as Saaru or Bele Saaru, it is prepared by different methods from region to region. (more…)
Urad dal wada are tasty and loved by all. It is usually served along with idli in restaurants.
Shaped like doughnuts, these have always been my favourite. With or without chutney, I love these fried dumplings. Today, a sneak and peek at this one.
- urad dal 2 cups
- green chilly 3
- coriander leaves
- curry leaves
- oil for frying
- Soak urad dal in water for two hours.
- Grind it to a fine batter with little water.
- In another jar, grind green chilly and coriander and mix with it. Throw in a few roughly cut curry leaves and salt.
- Heat oil in a pan , when done, beat and take some batter, make a hole with the thumb, and slowly release it into the oil. The making of this wada really needs some practice.
- In the beginning, one may not be able to make them and needs to be satisfied with the usual round balls.
- Fry until brown on medium flame, remove and put them on a tissue paper.
- Serve with coconut chutney.
Other variations :
Serve it immersed in yoghurt with a dressing. It is heaven or serve it immersed in sambar for a hotter version.
Did you like this one ? Subscribe to my blog to get recipes in your inbox and a book free.
Glad if you could share
In the coastal region as rice is the staple food, many varieties of accompaniments are served with rice. A wide range of tasty chutneys, tangy gojjus, healthy tamblis of various kinds and not to mention their sambar and rasams which are made with fresh coconut are just too good. Ajwain tambli is not only tasty but also good for health. (more…)
It’s so good to be back to writing again. Been really missing all this.Crisp bhendi make ideal accompaniment with rice. They are liked by all and can be preserved for a few days. But take care, do fry them well lest they may not turn soggy.
- bhendi or okra 1kg
- salt to taste
- chilli powder 1tsp
- oil for frying
- Wash,pat dry and cut bhendi into thin circles.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. When done, put sufficient quantity in the oil and let it cook on medium flame until brown. Slowly, remove and put it on a tissue paper.
- Later, transfer to a bowl and add salt and chilli powder to taste.
- Repeat procedure for all the cut slices.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Bhendi should not be wet while cutting.
- Pat dry well on an old towel.
- Each time add salt and chilly separately and mix with a spoon. Do not wait to add in the end.
- Chilly powder add according to the taste, the more, the spicier it is.
Salads form an important part of our diet. This version is called as koshambir and is usually made during functions. It is served to ladies during haldi kumkum. One can make it as an accompaniment with rice or chapati.
- moong dal 1 cup
- bengal gram 1 tsp
- cucumber 1 big
- oil for seasoning 2 tsp
- mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
- asafoetida a pinch
- curryleaves a few
- green cillies 2
- fresh coconut 1 cup
- salt to taste
- lemon 1/2
- Soak moong dal and gram dal in water for half an hour.
- Remove the skin of big cucumber and cut it into small pieces.
- Drain the water of the dal and put it in a colander for ten minutes.
- Later,put in a bowl and add cucumber,salt and grated coconut to it.
- Make seasoning and add to it.
- Add a dash of lime juice to it.
- Serve as an accompaniment or binge as a snack.
Cucumber used is the long variety. Remove the edges and rub well in circular motion. Then peel the skin. The seeds should be removed.
Added to the following Link Party
Natasha in Oz, Merry Monday Link Party,Lou Lou Girls Fabulous Party, Treasure Box Tuesday, In and Out of the Kitchen Link Party