I am always in search of good and easy recipes and this one is my recent addition. The first time I had Sago Idli was during a function at my cousins place. Since then, I have made it a couple of times. It’s needs no grinding; thus a boon for us, to prepare something different on daily basis.
Sago pearls is called as sabudaana in Hindi, Bengali, Gujarati, Punjabi and Marathi. It is Sabakki in Kannada, Javvarisi in Tamil, Chavvari in malayalam and Sagubeeyam in Telugu. It is used during fasting in parts of South India and Maharashtra.
My other idli recipes on the blog are Ragi Idli Chennai Idli Kanchipuram Idli
Let’s get cooking Sago Idli. The ingredients are mixed and kept to ferment. The next day or after five hours, one needs to make a seasoning and then put it in the idli stand to steam.
- 3/4 cup sago pearls
- 1 cup semolina (idli rawa)
- 1.5 cup curd
- 1 cup water
- salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon soda
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- asafoetida a pinch
- 1 teaspoon bengal gram
- 4 cashew broken
- a few curry leaves
- Take sago and semolina in a bowl. Wash it well and drain the water. Put curd and water to it. Mix it well. The consistency should be moderate. Close a lid and keep it in a warm place to ferment overnight or for five hours.
- Add salt to the batter.
- To make the seasoning: take the oil in a small pan. Add the mustard seeds, as it crackles, put cumin, bengal gram, green chilly pieces, cashew pieces and curry leaves.
- Pour it over the batter.
- Heat the idli steamer. You may grease the plates, I just wash them and use it.
- Add soda to the batter, mix well and put a ladle full in each cavity.
- Put it in the steamer and allow to cook on medium flame for fifteen minutes.
- Idlis should be well cooked.
- Remove the idlis with round edged spoon after sometime.
- Serve with chutney, sambar or sago.
Take a tip:
- The curds used must be sour.
- Small sago pearls are usually used for this. But, I have used the regular ones itself.
Mix sago pearls and semolina in curd. Add a little water to get the medium consistency. Set it aside to ferment for a few hours.
Heat oil in a small pan. Add mustard seeds, as it crackles put cumin, bengal gram, green chilly, cashew and curry leaves.
put the seasoning
Put salt to the batter and add the prepared seasoning.
and the soda
Lastly, add a little soda and mix it.
batter into the idli moulds
Put the batter in the cavity of the idli moulds.
ready to be steamed
It is ready to be put in the idli maker. Cook it on medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes. The idli should be well cooked from inside also.
Sago idli are ready to serve.
You can serve with chutney, sambar or sago.
Prestige has come with a smart multi kadai. It has anodized body. It can be used for idly and dhokla. One can also use it for regular cooking. You can check it in the link below.
Sago idli is another variety of idli that needs no grinding. It is a boon for ladies to prepare idlis easily.
Prep Time 7 hours
Cook Time 18 minutes
Total Time 7 hours 18 minutes
semolina (idli rawa)
asafoetida a pinch
broken into pieces
cut into pieces
tear them into small bits
salt to taste
water ( to adjust the consistency of batter)
Put sago and semolina in a bowl. Wash it and drain the water.
Put yoghurtand water to it. Mix them together. The consistency should be moderate.
Cover it with a lid and keep it to ferment overnight (atleast five hours)
The next day, add salt to it.
Make seasoning. Take oil, put the mustard seeds, as it crackles, put cumin, bengal gram, green chilly, curry leaves, cashew pieces and asafoetida.
Grease the plates if you wish. I usually wash them and use right away.
Add soda to the batter.Give a stir. Adjust the consistency of batter by adding a little water.
Put a ladle full of batter in each cavity.
Keep it in the idly cooker and steam for twenty minutes on medium flame.
The idly should be well cooked.
Remove them after sometime. Serve with chutney, sambar or sago.
- The sago pearls used for this are the smaller ones, but I did use the regular ones.
- Yoghurt should be sour.
Subscribe to get a book of handy hints for free!