Okra with tomatoes/bhindi tamatar ki sabzi makes a good accompaniment with roti or chapati. It is tasty and easy to prepare.
Okra is called by different names. It is commonly known as bhendi or bhindi. Many are familiar to it as lady’s finger.
Okra is a popular vegetable which is used in various ways. It is used to make stir fry, dal, sambar, bhindi fry and even chutney. I love making stir fry with it and here is another one, Okra with tomatoes / bhindi tamatar ki sabzi.
Okra with tomatoes makes a good accompaniment with chapati or roti. It is ideal to pack in the lunch box too, kids will like this, just make sure you chose the best bhindi to make it.
Okra / bhindi should be soft and dark green in colour. The nip should break easily.
Let’s get to the recipe of Okra with Tomatoes/ Bhindi Tamatar ki Sabzi
The ingredients that you need are :
- okra or ladies finger 1/2 kg
- tomatoes 3
- onions 2
- oil 1tbsp
- chilli powder 2 tsp
- amchur powder 1/4 tsp
- garam masala powder 1/2 tsp
- salt to taste
- cumin 1/2 tsp
- Wash and pat dry the okra. Cut into one inch long pieces. Ensure that they are fully dry before you cut.
- Cut tomato and onion into small pieces.
- Tale a teaspoon of oil in a pan and shallow fry the okra on a low flame, the stickiness should vanish.
- Once it is done, put them aside. Add oil, put cumin to it. As the cumin splutters, add onion and saute for sometime. Add tomatoes, let them cook well.
- Then add amchur powder, garam masala powder, chilli powder and salt.
- Mix well, add the okra pieces to it and simmer for five minutes.
- Serve with chapati or roti.
Pin it for later:
This is an old post, which I have redone with better pictures and content. Sending this Foodies_Redoing Old Post 12 where we meet every fortnight with a new look to our old blog post.
If you have liked this post, do leave a comment below. It really motivates me to write more. If you ever make this recipe, take a picture and share it on Facebook by tagging @evergreendishes or on Instagram by tagging @foodiejayashree. I will be glad to see your creation and shall share it further.
Do check out my e-books Subscribe to get a book of handy hints for free and all updates in your inbox.