Tengalu / Thenkuzhal | Guest Post for Sapana
Published on March 14, 2020

Tengalu is a crispy, dry snack usually made during Diwali and Holi. It is popular in Karnataka and Tamil Nadu. It is also known as Thenkuzhal.

I have great memories of this snack. During Diwali, chakli and tengalu were often prepared at home in big containers and stored. Usually, Tengalu is made by making the flour at home. It is a week-long process and today, none of us have the time and patience to do. I prefer making the easier method these days as life seems to be busy. Here is the method I use to make Tengalu using ready flour. Here, I bought the urad dal flour from supermarket.

Tengalu / Thenkuzhal guest post

Difference between Chakli and Tengalu :

Chakli and Tengalu are both deep-fried snacks from South India  but chakli is more popular in all regions. Tengalu is made only in some parts of the state. The blade/jali for Tengalu has three or four perforations but the Chakli blade has only perforation. Moreover, different varieties of chakli are prepared.

This is a guest- post I have written for Sapana. Sapana is an awesome  blogger who blogs at Cooking with Sapana. It is good to be associated with her in this blogging world. Her blog has many dishes from different cuisines. Do check out her blog and the recipe for Tengalu.

If you ever make this recipe, do take a picture and tag @evergreendishes on Facebook or @evergreendishes on Instagram.

Subscribe to get all updates and an e-book for free !

Crispy and delicious looking tengalu. My mom makes similar ones and we call them janthikalu in Telugu. One of my family tea time snack.

• blessmyf🍎🍏dbypayal

Similar snack is made here too with a popular name SEMIYAAN. This one looking just awesome with a crispy too apt.

2. Lata Lala

Tengalu / Thenkuzhal has turned out perfect and with crispy texture. Yes we make similar kind of dish during Diwali. We call it jada/thick sev. It’s a perfect companion with tea.

3. Sandhya Nadkarni

This is one of my most favorite snacks Jayashree! Yours looks super crisp an djust right! I want to make it.

4. Sapna

I loved this crispy snack recipe. Once again thank you for the guest post dear. I will make it after Navratri and let you know how it turned out.

The only kind of sev I’ve tasted and make is the one with besan flour. This one with rice and urad flours looks so crunchy. A nice crunchy snack to munch on.

• Sasmita Sahoo Samanta

These snacks are looking super crisp Jaya ! During diwali or anytime I can munch these crunches. You have so perfectly made these …

6. Anshu

Tengalu looks super crisp and delish. All I need is a hot cup of tea to enjoy some…

7. Jagruti's Cooking Odyssey

Oh I wouldn’t mid having this snack right now with my masala chai. Such a crispy and tasty snack to share.