This vegetable curry from Rajasthani cuisine is a blend of unique vegetables. Raw tomato and long cucumber along with a medley of other vegetables and spices makes a tasty side dish.
The love for trying different dishes from various cuisines landed me to this dish which I had jotted in my book many years back. Yes, a crazy soul, who loves to save these. We had raw tomatoes and thus made this and it was good.
Raw tomatoes are still available and hope you will try making it. I loved the fact that rare veggies as long cucumber and raw tomato are used in it. Moreover, it is a no onion garlic recipe. This dish pairs well with any Indian flat bread.
I had earlier shared a chutney using raw tomato, it stays good for 2-3 days if refrigerated.
- 1 large cucumber
- 1/4 kilogram raw tomato
- 1/2 cup peas
- 2 capsicum
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- Peel and cut the cucumber into small cubes.
- Cut raw tomato and capsicum into small pieces.
- Take oil in a pan, add cumin, asafoetida, turmeric powder to it. Put capsicum and peas to it, let cook for sometime.
- Now add raw tomato and cucumber pieces, mix and let cook on a low flame until the moisture is absorbed completely.
- Add salt, chilli powder, coriander powder and cumin powder. Mix it well.
- Finally, sprinkle garam masala and give a stir.
- Vegetable Curry is now ready to serve.
Take a tip:
- Check the bitterness of the cucumber. Otherwise, it may spoil the dish.
- Use raw tomatoes, not the slightly ripened ones.
- Use fresh green peas. if it is not available, use the frozen ones.
- Quantity of capsicum may be increased to three.
- Capsicum of the larger variety are not spicy and ideal for cooking.
The vegetable curry is different and tasty. It makes use of raw tomatoes and long cucumber along with a few other veggies. It pairs well with chapati.
- 1 large cucumber
- 1/4 kg raw tomato
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 2 capsicum
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seed
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp chilli powder
Wash and peel the skin of the cucumber, cut it into cubes.
Cut capsicum and raw tomato into small pieces.
Take oil in a pan, add cumin, asafoetida and turmeric powder to it. Put capsicum and peas to it, let cook for sometime.
Now add raw tomato and cucumber pieces, mix and let cook on a low flame until the moisture is absorbed completely.
Add salt, chilli powder, coriander powder and cumin powder. Mix it well.
Finally, sprinkle garam masala and give a stir.
Vegetable Curry is now ready to serve.
- Use fresh green peas, if they are not available use frozen ones.
- Check bitterness of cucumber. Otherwise, it may spoil the dish.
- Use firm, raw tomatoes.
- One can increase the quantity of capsicum to three.
If you have liked this dish, do leave a comment below.
If you ever make this dish, take a picture and share it on Facebook or Instagram by tagging me, I will be glad to share it further.
Do not miss any recipes, subscribe to get all updates and an e-book for free !