Aloo Bharta / Oriya style potato mash
Published on May 31, 2019

Aloo Bharta or Potato Mash of Oriya cuisine is a simple yet flavoursome accompaniment to any meal. It is mainly used with rice but pairs well with chapati too.

A little about the Oriya cuisine:

The cuisine of Orissa is different from the other states, it has a distinctive style of cooking and it is mostly followed in all the traditional recipes. Panch phoran is an essential spice mix in their cooking, it is a blend of five spices namely cumin, mustard, fenugreek, aniseed and kalonji. The food is less spicy and mustard oil is used in some of their dishes.

Most of the people are non-vegetarian and fish forms an integral part of their traditional cuisine. Rice is the staple food of this region.

Today, I am sharing another potato recipe here, it is called as Aloo Bharta or Potato mash. It is mainly used with rice. Priya Sateesh of Priyas Menu gave me potato and mustard as the two secret ingredients and I prepared this dish. Yes, you guessed it right, it’s time for the monthly challenge at Shhhh Cooking Secretly Challenge group and we have entered the state of Orissa now.

Potato Mash can be used :

• dosa
  • chapati
  • rice
  • puri
  • as a filling for bread

• 4 potato boiled
  • 1 teaspoon mustard seed
  • 3 dry red chilly broken
  • 1 onion
  • 1 green chilly chopped
  • 1 tablespoon mustard oil
  1. Pressure cook the potatoes.
  2. Cut the onion finely.
  3. Once the pressure releases, peel the potatoes and mash them.
  4. Take oil in a pan, add mustard seed, as they crackle put the onion and saute for sometime. Let it turn translucent.
  5. Put the red chilly and green chilly to it, stir, after a few seconds put the mashed potato and salt. Mix well.
  6. Serve hot aloo bharta with phulka or chapati.

Pin it for later:

Aloo Bharta / Potato Mash
Aloo Bharta / Potato Mash

A few other potato recipes that I commonly make at home for lunch are Alu Matar, Raswali Aloo, Aloo Jeera

If you have liked this post, do leave a comment. I will be glad to hear from you. If you ever make this dish, take a picture and share it on Instagram by tagging @foodiejayashree or on Facebook by tagging @evergreendishes.

Subscribe to get an e-book for free and all updates in your inbox !

1. Sandhya

Love aaloo bharta and your post is inspiring me to make it again Jayashree.

2. The Girl Next Door

I love just how simple this recipe is, using barely a few ingredients. That said, I am sure this bhartha tastes fabulous. Would make for a perfect side to rotis, parathas and rice alike. Lovely recipe!

3. Erika

This recipe looks so simple, yet wonderful and full of flavor.

4. poonampagar

I love such fuss free recipes. Simple yet delicious. This Aloo bharta looks so good.

5. Priya Satheesh

Such a versatile dish. Looks yummy and quite easy to prepare.

6. Renu Agrawal Dongre

Love potatoes always and this version of aloo bharta looks very tempting and a must try.

7. shobhakeshwani

Yummy… the mustard oil is what gives the actual flavours to this preparation.. love it.

8. namscorner18

Such a simple and easy one to make and very versatile as it can be used in many ways. Thanks for the lovely share

9. PepperOnPizza

Each State in India seems to have its own version of Aloo Bartha, each of them equally delicious. And I do like to have it with rasam and rice, or in a quesadilla! (after removing the chilies of course)
    Sujata Shukla

Love this easy and simple potato mash and it looks so delicious. Goes perfectly with poori/ chapathi. Bookmarked it.

11. Vasusvegkitchen

Aloo Bharta looks very tasty and very simple version of potato. Mustard oil enhancing the taste of potato , love to have this aloo Bharta with rice.

12. Priya

just like an aloo bharta…subtle flavours and delicious…nice share

13. Alisa Infanti

This is very similar to the potato salad I make but I love the idea of adding a few chili peppers to add some heat.

14. Ramona's Cuisine

I so have to try this recipe – wow delicious. The perfect potato dish – I love the spices and flavours added to this.

15. Batter Up With Sujata

Aloo bharta looks delicious. In Bihar also a similar dish called aloo chokha. I would love to have it with dal chawal. Lovely recipe.

16. Seema Doraiswamy Sriram

Perfect Aloo… the humble potato takes a beloved form in every state of India doesnt it? Dlama will go perfect with this.I have to make this combo with aloo bhartha again.

I love this simple and yet satisfying aloo bharta. I could have the whole bowl on its own. Each state has its own style of making mashed potatoes.

18. Sasmita Sahoo Samanta

Use of mustrad oil add more flavors particularly.. super simple dish goes well with steamed rice dal combo