janamasthami collection
Krishna Janamasthami Collection
Published on August 14, 2017

Krishna Janamasthami is one of the most important festivals celebrated in India and all over the world. It marks the birth of Lord Krishna and is celebrated on the eight day  of the dark fortnight in the month of Shravan.  Lord Krishna is believed to be the eigth incarnation of Vishnu and  is worshipped with utmost devotion. Fasting, pooja, rituals, songs and bhajans, sweets and savoury offerings  are all observed during this festival with utmost enthusiasm and devotion.

Usually aval payasa or aval ( rice flakes) mixed with coconut is offered to the Lord as Krishna was fond of poha.

Here is a collection of recipes from my archives that are ideal for Krishna Janamasthami. Click the title or the picture for the recipe.

Krishna Janamashtmi Collection

Krishna janamashtmi Collection

Janamasthami Collection

janamasthami collection

janamasthami collection

Puffed rice balls

Puffed rice balls are not only tasty but can be easily prepared.

Kodbole

Kodbole is a popular savoury snack relished anytime.

Chakli

The instant version of chakli is equally tasty and easy to make.

Coconut Burfi

Coconut burfi is usually made during festivals.

Appi Payasa

appi payasa

appi payasa

Appi or Puri payasa is said to be the favourite of the Lord.

Wishing one and all a Happy Janamasthami ! May Lord bless us with peace and contentment.

Eating healthy food should not be boring, make a variety of tasty dishes everyday. Do check out this book of 30 Tasty Dal Recipes on Amazon.

30 tasty dal recipes

30 tasty dal recipes

If you have liked this post, do share it further.

Subscribe to get recipes in your inbox and a book of handyhints for free!

1. Ashley Horstmeier

I’ve never heard of any of these dishes before. Next time I have the opportunity I will try one. Thanks for sharing!

Thankyou Ashley

2. Terra Bryant

Very informative post. I actually love Indian food and ate many different dishes when I travelled there. But I haven’t tried any of these, guess I’ll have to now!!!

Thankyou Terra, these are snacks that we make and keep in air tight containers.

3. Sarah Bean

I haven’t heard of these either!! So yummy. Do you have any crockpot, soup, or pumpkin recipes to share? If so message me at Facebook.com/raisingbeans I am creating a large post for fall and want to recognize some bloggers!

Thankyou Sarah. Shall share on facebook.

Thankyou Narayan Goswami.

4. Amisha

I’m very much familiar with these dishes. I love Chakli and puffed rice balls. I know, how we are so fond of cooking and eating different cuisines in festivals it doubles the celebrations and joy 🙂 . Happy Janmashtami You.

• kitchenyolonda

I had a lovely neighbor who introduced me to Indian food and puffed rice balls (although I think she called it something different) was one of the yummy treats she introduced me to. So delicious.

Thankyou Amisha. Indian food has a lot to offer for foodies.

@allseasonsasia Thankyou!

5. girlsglamour16

Chakli and Coconut Barfi are my all time favourite snack and sweet. Would try your delicious recipes. Happy Janmasthami to you.

@girlsglamour Thankyou, do try and let me know.

6. Sumita

Very helpful and true Indian recipes!

Thankyou Sumita

7. Mal

These remind me of the dishes my grandma makes (She’s from Calcutta!)

Thankyou Mal for the comment.

8. Cath

The food looks delicious and I can almost taste it from here. Hope you had a great celebration

Thankyou Cath. Yes, had a good one.