Appi payasa is one of the popular sweets prepared in Karnataka. It is simply divine. Thin puris of semolina are made, broken and boiled in milk with sugar and garnished with dry fruits.
With Holi round the corner, one can make this easy sweet. It is not only delicious, I am sure you will be making it over again and again. The other recipe for Holi, which I had posted a couple of days is here. A few other sweet recipes can be viewed here.
May the season of festivity bring immense peace and happiness.
Let me take you to the recipe now. Pictorial presentation is below.
- Fine Semolina 1 cup, 225grams (Chiroti rawa)
- Ghee 2tsp
- milk 1 litre
- sugar 1/2 cup, 100grams
- cardamom powder 1/4tsp
- saffron strands 4-5
- oil for frying
- water for mixing the dough
- Take the semolina in a bowl. Add a teaspoon of ghee and mix it well. Add water and mix it to a firm dough. Cover it and keep it aside for fifteen minutes.
- Boil milk for sometime. Add strands of saffron and keep it aside to cool.
- Take a small ball of the dough and roll it into a thin puri.
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Deep fry the puri to golden colour.
- Remove it on a tissue paper.
- Repeat the procedure for the rest of the dough. You will be making around seven to eight puris.
- Crush the puris to small pieces.
- Add them to the boiled milk.
- Boil the milk on a low flame for sometime.
- Add sugar and mix well.Boil for a few more minutes. Let the consistency be not too thick. On cooling, it becomes thicker. Remove from flame.
- Add cardamom powder.
- Roast the cashews in ghee and garnish it.
Take semolina in a bowl, add a teaspoon of ghee, mix it well with fingers. Then, add water and make it to a firm dough. Cover it with a thin cloth and keep aside for fifteen minutes.
A litre of milk is boiled for sometime. Boiling for five minutes is sufficient. Saffron is added while boiling.
Make small balls of the dough.
Roll them into thin puris.
Heat oil in a kadai. Deep fry each puri to light brown colour on both sides.
The puris are ready.
Break them into small pieces. Put them in milk and boil for sometime. Then,add sugar, mix well and boil for another couple of minutes. Finally ,add cardamom powder. Garnish with roasted cashews.
Looks delicious isn’t it ?
Did you like it ? Do share with your friends.
WISHING ONE AND ALL A HAPPY HOLI !
[social_share style=”bar” align=”horizontal” heading_align=”inline” text=”” heading=”” facebook=”1″ twitter=”1″ google_plus=”1″ linkedin=”1″ pinterest=”1″ link=”” /]