Pav bhaji is one of the snacks that I grew eating it very regularly and cherish this so much. It’s easy to make on hard days, good for the parties or any time of the day , and most of all it fills your stomach , not something like uff, I have eaten so much and still feel hungry…unlike the pani puris, isn’t it ? I am really pretty excited to share it here.
Pav Bhaji is a popular street food of Mumbai. It is very popular and so delicious, that you can find these vendors selling it everywhere and till late nights. This month , we Culinary Hoppers have decided to explore the Maharashtrian cuisine. This variety of food has so much to offer and it has a unique blend of taste. It is spicy with a little bit of sweetness in it. Chapati and phulka are more commonly made here. Accompaniments such as dry potato sabzi or matki usal are common. A dish of gram flour called as Jhunka is very famous here. With rice, they make a rasam like known as amti. The curry powder used is different one, known as Goda Masala. This powder is also used in preparing variety of rice dishes.
As we are lovers of pav bhaji at home, I decided to make this and Kotambir Wadi for the blog hop. I hope you enjoy this authentic recipe of pav bhaji recipe as much as I am glad to share it here .
- onions 3
- tomatoes 4
- potato 3
- peas 11/2 bowl
- cauliflower 1/2 floret of a big one or 1 small one
- capsicum 1
- butter 2tbsp + 1tbsp
- ginger garlic paste 1tsp
- cumin 1tsp
- pav bhaji masala 2tsp
- chilli powder 1tsp
- kasuri methi 1tsp
- garam masala powder 1tsp
- turmeric powder 1/4tsp
- chat masal 1/2 tsp
- black salt 1/4 tsp
- salt to taste
- For garnishing :
- onion finely cut
- coriander finely cut
- lemon wedges
- Other ingredients:
- Pav buns 12
- butter to spread
- Cut veggies. In a seperator, put the peas and potato and in another put the cauliflowe. Cook it for two whistles in a pressure cooker.
- Take a tablespoon of butter , add cumin and as they splutter put the capsicum, Allow them to cook for sometime. Add the ginger garlic paste and saute well.Mash them
- Add tomato and allow to cook for sometime. Remove the water from the veggies and keep aside. Put the boiled veggies. Let cook for sometime, mash them well. You can keep them a little crunchy if you wish.
- Take another pan and two tablespoon of butter, add the onions and saute until it turns pale in colour. Add chilli powder, pav bhaji masala, kasuri methi ,garam masala powder, turmeric powder, salt and mix well. Allow to cook for a minute. Put it into the mashed veggies and give a stir. Put a little chat masala and black salt to enhance the taste.
- Remove from heat and keep aside.
- To serve:
- Take a pav, cut it into two,. Heat a skillet and roast them with a little butter on both the sides.
- Put the bhaji in a bowl , garnish with chopped onions, coriander and lime wedges.
Cut the onions, tomato and capsicum into small pieces.
Pressure cook the veggies, cauliflower, potatoes and peas.
Take a table spoon of butter and add the cumin to it. As it splutters, add the capsicum. Then, add the ginger garlic paste, saute for sometime. Then, mash it.
Add the tomatoes and let cook.Remove the water of the veggies and keep it aside. Put the veggies into it.
Mash the veggies well with a potato masher.
Take another pan and a tablespoon of butter. Add the onions and saute it. Then add all the masalas to it, chilly powder, pav bhaji masala, kasuri methi and turmeric powder.
Add the sauted masala to the mashed veggies. Add the salt, black salt and little water. Let boil for a minute.
Pav Bhaji is ready to serve
My other Maharashtrian dishes :
These are the other delicacies of my blog hop friends:
Subscribe to get a book of handyhints for free !