It’s that time of the year, when the world is full of new blossoms and the weather is enchanting. A season you love and cherish, but so short lived. Winter has come to an end and summer will soon make way. It’s beautiful spring,time ,yay , it’s Holi time ! And on this ocassion I bring to you a delicious and healthy sweet dish, ABC Halwa.
Holi is celebrated on the day of full moon ,that is Poornima of the Phalguna month of the Hindu calendar. It usually occurs in February or March. This year it is on March 23. The next day , the citizens celebrate by playing with colour. What does Holi signify actually ? It indicates the arrival of spring, victory of good over evil, good bye to winter and also a harvest festival.
Coming back to my dish,yes, the name is intriguing, but the taste is just too good. Apple, banana and carrots together makes this awesome dish. You can add fresh coconut to this, but I avoided as my children are fussy about it. Earlier, I used to make only carrot halwa, now the addition of fruits seems to have taken it to another level. The smell of the apples being cooked was just awesome. This is a popular Gujarati dish. I am sending this dish to the Holi Collection by Sonal.
- apple pieces 1 cup (1big apple)
- banana pieces 1 cup (2 large bananas)
- carrot grated 1cup (4 carrots )
- sugar 1 1/4 cup
- milk 1 cup
- ghee 1tbsp +1tsp
- salt a pinch
- cardamom powder 1/4 tsp
- cashew and almond pieces
- Remove the skin of apple and cut into small pieces.
- Grate the carrots.
- Chop the banana also into small bits.
- Take a thick bottom pan and put all the cut fruits and carrot together. Add milk and keep on a low flame to cook.
- Allow to cook for sometime, until the milk is dissolved and it looks as a mass.
- Add a tablespoon of ghee and saute the mixture for sometime. The colour changes and the ghee will be seperated.
- Then, add the sugar and continue to cook for some more time. All ingredients will get blended together. Put the pinch of salt.
- Finally add the cardamom powder and remove from flame.
- Take a small pan , and roast the dry fruits in ghee. Garnish it
- You can increase the quantity of sugar, if you want it to be more sweet.
- Fresh coconut can be used along with the fruits and carrot.
Remove the skin of apple and cut it into small pieces. Grate the carrots and chop the bananas. All are of equal measurement. I required one apple, two bananas and four carrots to make them of one bowl each.
Put them in a thick bottom pan and add a bowl of milk. let cook on a low flame. Keep stirring. Once the milk has evaporated add ghee and continue to saute. As it leave the sides, add sugar (1 1/4 bowl) and cook till it melts and then thickens. You need at least twenty minutes. Finally add cardamom powder.
Roast the dry fruits in a little ghee. Garnish them over it.
Glad if you share it ! HAPPY HOLI !
[social_share style=”bar” align=”horizontal” heading_align=”inline” text=”” heading=”” facebook=”1″ twitter=”1″ google_plus=”1″ linkedin=”1″ pinterest=”1″ link=”” /]
Subscribe to get a book of handyhints for free !