As we enter the new year 2016, I start my posts here on a sweet note. Here is a traditional sweet dish from the state of Karnataka. This is widely prepared during festivals in Mysore, Hayagreeva maddi, popularly known as hayagriva, is made of boiled chana dal in syrup of jaggery, garnished with grated coconut, cardamom and nuts.
Sweets are usually made during festivities. Some sweets like Hayagreeva maddi are ideal to serve for lunch. This is an easy to prepare dish, which does not need elaborate preparation and all ingredients are easily available at home.
Chana dal or bengal gram needs longer time to quick than other lentils. Hence, it is ideal to soak it for an hour before cooking in the pressure cooker. It is necessary that the lentil is well cooked before proceeding further to step 3 in the recipe.
Before I proceed to the recipe, I wish you all a very Happy New Year again !
My other traditional sweet dishes
Hayagreeva Maddi | Hayagriva
- Chana dal 1 cup
- jaggery grated 1 1/4 cup
- ghee 2tbsp
- desiccated coconut 1/2 cup
- cardamom powder 1/4tsp
- cashew nuts 8
- water 3 cups
- Wash and soak chana dal in water for an hour.
- Pressure cook the chana dal with three glass of water. Add a little ghee to it.
- Drain the water of the dal. It can be used in other dishes.
- Put the cooked dal in a pan and heat it on a low flame.Ensure that the cooked lentil is extremely soft. It will not get cooked after the addition of jaggery.
- Add the jaggery and ghee. Simmer on a low flame for five to ten minutes.Add desiccated coconut.Finally, garnish with roasted nuts and cardamom powder.Hayagreeva maddi is ready to serve.
Take a tip:
- The consistency should neither be too thick or thin.
- It is essential for the lentil to be well cooked before adding jaggery to it. It will not cook further after adding jaggery to it.
- Check the cooked lentil by pressing between fingers. It should be soft.
- Quantity of jaggery may be increased if desired.
Hayagreeva maddi is a traditional sweet from Karnataka. Bengal gram is cooked soft and it is mixed with jaggery and nuts, it makes a tasty dish.
- 1 cup chana dal/bengal gram
- 1.25 cup jaggery grated
- 2 tablespoon ghee
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 8 cashewnuts
- 3 cups water
Wash and soak chana dal in water for an hour.Pressure cook the chana dal with three glass of water. Add a little ghee to it. Drain the water of the dal. It can be used in other dishes. Put the cooked dal in a pan and heat it on a low flame.
Add the jaggery and ghee.and simmer on a low flame for five to ten minutes. Add dessicated coconut.
Finally, garnish with roasted nuts and cardamom powder. Hayagreeva maddi is ready to serve.
- Ensure that the cooked dal is extremely soft. If not, pressure cook again.
- Once the jaggery is added, the lentil will not cook further.
- Add more jaggery if desired.
If you have liked this post, share it further. Pin it for further reference.
Follow us on social media, lets be connected.
[social_share style=”bar” align=”horizontal” heading_align=”inline” facebook=”1″ twitter=”1″ google_plus=”1″ linkedin=”1″ pinterest=”1″ /]