Ragi idli /Finger millet idli
Published on December 31, 2015

Ragi Idli / Finger Millet Idli is a healthy twist to the usual variety that is made. It is ideal for breakfast. This is a fermented idli.

Everyday, it is a dilemma to choose a menu that is liked by all at home. More so, in the days when we are thinking of healthy eating. As we ring into the new year, I plan to bring in more healthy  recipes for you. .Today on the eve of new year, I bring to you all,Ragi idli or finger millet idli , a twist to the usual stuff.

Ragi is a  multi grain which is highly nutritive in value.It consists of amino acids such as iso leucene, leucene, methionine and phenylanine. It is rich in calcium and potassium.

My other kind of idli recipes can be read here :

Benefits of Ragi

It is a super food which is found to help to reduce diabetes  mellitus. With many people suffering from this disease, this diet is highly recommended. It helps in maintaining the insulin level..

It  helps in reducing cholestrol. It helps  in weight loss and controlling obesity. The food takes longer time to digest, hence the calories consumed are much lesser.

It has a cooling effect on the body. Thus, it is an ideal food during summer. Ragi malt is usually taken in the mornings during these months. Ragi halbai is a sweet that is not to to be missed. Ragi Thalipeeth is ideal for weekend lunch or breakfast.

Now, with so many benefits, let us take a look at the recipe of making Ragi Idli or Finger millet Idli. It is vegan and gluten free. It is ideal for breakfast. It can be served for dinner too.

Ragi Idli / Finger Millet Idli

Ingredients:

• Urad dal 1 cup
  • Ragi flour 3 cups
  • water for grinding and soaking
Ragi Idli / Finger Millet Idli

Ragi Idli / Finger Millet Idli

Method:

Take a tip :

• Add water in small quantities.
  • Sieve the ragi flour before using it.

About the event:

Sending this to Foodies_Redoing Old Post 27. This is an old post which I have updated with better pictures. Every fortnight, we edit an old post with better pictures and text.

Ragi Idli

Ragi idli is tasty and a healthy twist to the usual one.
Prep Time 2 hours
Cook Time 30 minutes
Resting time 7 hours

• Urad dal 1 cup
  • Ragi flour 3 cups
  • water for grinding and soaking

1. Wash and soak urad dal in water for three hours. Grind it to a smooth batter by adding little  amount of water.
  2. Renove the batter in a bowl. Mix the ragi flour and salt to it.  Keep it in a warm place for eight hours to ferment. Ideally, it is good to keep overnight.
  3. Next day, take the idli stand and wash the plates. Add a spoonful of batter in each mould. Heat the pressure cooker or the idli cooker and keep them to steam on a medium flame for fifteen to twenty minutes. Once done, remove from heat and serve  with coconut chutney.

Recipe Notes

Add water in small quantities.
Sieve the ragi flour before using it.

Thank you for being  a reader of this blog . Wishing You A Very Happy  New Year ! May the days ahead be filled with immense joy and prosperity!

Pin it for later:

Ragi Idli / Finger millet idli

If you have liked this recipe, do share it with your family members and friends. All comments motivate me to write more. If you ever make this dish, take a picture and tag @foodiejayashree on Instagram or @evergreendishes on Facebook. It is always good to see your creations.

Let’s be connected. Subscribe to get all updates and an e-book for free !

1. Poornima

Very healthy and nutritious Idli..

2. Vandana Mathur

I have been looking for ragi recipes of late. Will try it soon and let you know how they come out. Thanks for sharing.

Thankyou Vandana, do let me know how it was.

• Archana

Ragi idlis with urid dal is something I have not tried as yet. Always wanted to try but never did like the recipe. I will definitely try this one. Bookmarking

3. shobhakeshwani

Very healthy idlis. I also tried them out once.

4. Preethicuisine

The ragi idlis are so nutritious and yummy. Love this soft and fluffy idlis.

• themadscientistskitchen

Bookmarking this recipe Jayashree. I always end up making instant idlis with ragi will love to try with dal too.

• Jayashree

Do give a try, they come out well. Thank you for the visit.

• Sasmita Sahoo Samanta

Ragi idlis look very Soft and fluffy jaya ! I have not tried yet, yours is so perfect to follow and make some soon.

• Jayashree

Thank you, I love using Ragi.

5. Kalyani

No rice-idly! This is fantastic and can’t wait to try this .. can I use sprouted ragi flour (huritru), in this recipe jayashree ?

• Jayashree

I have not tried with huri hittu Kalyani. Thank you , glad you liked it.

6. Priya Srinivasan

I make ragi idly with the whole ragi, haven;t tried this flour and ground dal!! sounds easy! idlies have come out pretty good!

7. Sandhya Ramakrishnan

I have added ragi flour to regular idli batter but have never made it just with ragi. I need to give this recipe a try. Very healthy and great way to include whole grains.

I have some ragi flour and will be trying out ragi idli soon. I’m a big fan of ragi. Idli looks so fluffy and soft. My all time favorite food.

9. cookshideout

Such a healthy and nutritious breakfast this is. Love that you used ragi flour to make these – it is a little hard to get whole ragi where we live. Thanks for sharing.

10. Sandhya

Thanks for sharing this Jayashree. I am always looking for ragi recipes and these fluffy idlis look delicious!

Love ragi idlis but haven’t made any so far at home. Definitely going to try them soon. Like this recipe with dal as opposed to the instant one as I’m sure they come out much fluffier and softer.

12. Jagruti's Cooking Odyssey

I love ragi flour and ragi idlis too, but always made instant version.Healthy and delicious same time, they are fluffy and soft.

13. cookingwithsapana

Ragi idli sounds quite intriguing. I will try it the next time I buy ragi flour.

14. Seema Doraiswamy Sriram

The ragi idlies look super soft, Jayashree. The new images look so lovely in the soft light.

15. poonampagar

Loved your version of ragi idlis with urad dal and ragi flour. The idlis look soft and fluffy.

1. Summer Delights - […]                                      …
  2. Chennai Idli | Ever Green Dishes - […] Ragi Idli […]
  3. Ragi Thalipeeth / how to make ragi thalipeeth | Ever Green Dishes - […] in Karnataka. There are many ways in which we can include this super food in our diet. Here is…
  4. Ragi Halbai | South Canara - […] in fibre. I prefer using ragi at home since it is liked by all.  Do check these breakfast recipes Ragi…
  5. Instant ragi dosa | Ragi dosa recipe | Finger millet dosa - Ever Green Dishes - […] the staple food of many people. It is also used in making sweets and other dishes. I regularly make…