I have earlier mentioned that I am trying various kind of dishes with brown rice. This Brown rice pongal is awesome and it’s become a quick meal for me to make at night. Here, as the lentil and rice are cooked together, the taste of the brown rice is much less and hence more tastier.Have a look at the recipe, I am sure you too will love this one ! The use of onion and capsicum makes this delicious. Brown rice, being slightly hardto chew is not much liked by all, here it is fully cooked , only the thick grains are visible somewhere.
- brown rice 1 cup (100 grams)
- moong dal 1cup (100 grams)
- oil 2tsp
- cumin 1tsp
- onion 1
- green capsicum 1
- green chilli 2
- ginger 1/2 inch grated
- turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
- asafoetida a pinch
- pepper powder 1tsp
- salt to taste
- ghee 1tsp
- water 8 cups
- Take brown rice and moong dal in a bowl and wash it. Soak it for an hour.
- Cut the veggies and keep aside.
- Take oil in a pressure pan. Add cumin, as it crackles, add the chilly and the onion and saute for a while. Later, add capsicum to it. Add asafoetida and turmeric powder to it. Drain the water and put the soaked rice and dal. Saute for two minutes. The drained water can be used for cooking, do not throw it away.
- Add eight cups of water to it. Add salt and pepper powder, give a stir and close the lid and cook it one whistle.
- Later , put a teaspoon of ghee , stir and serve the brown rice pongal.
Subscribe to get a book of handyhints for free !
[social_share style=”bar” align=”horizontal” heading_align=”inline” facebook=”1″ twitter=”1″ google_plus=”1″ linkedin=”1″ pinterest=”1″ /]