Holi, the festival of colours marks the arrival of spring. It is the time when we love to celebrate the beautiful season, which soon ends giving us the worse summer. This festival is celebrated throughout the country, though the spirit of the festival has dwindled these days. What was once a colourful play with each one immersed in pink and blue , is now reduced to a mere touch of it. Well, change is the only thing constant, I enjoying seeing the kids running splashing colours on each other. Happy Holi to all of you !
Food plays an important role during this festival. Different kinds of sweets and savouries are prepared and many people prepare a drink called as thandai. Today, as part of the holi special blog and also the blog hop which happens to be our theme, I present to you a sweet dish “Pongal ” This is a traditional dish which is very popular in south india.
Pongal is prepared using moong dal and rice . This is a sweet dish which I have prepared using sugar. It can also be prepared using jaggery and is equally good.
moong dal 1cup
rice 1 cup
sugar 2 cup
ghee 1/2 cup
saffron a few strands
- Wash the rice and moong dal and put them in a pan with adequate quantity of water. Add a little ghee to it and pressure cook it for three whistles.
- Put the saffron in warm milk and keep aside.
- Remove and put the cooked mixture in a pan. Let cook for a while. Add ghee and sugar and mix well.
- Allow the sugar to blend well and check the consistency.If need ,aadd water. Add the saffron to it.
- Saute cashewnuts in a little ghee and add to it.
- Sweet Pongal is ready to serve.