Lemon rice is one of the pre-dominant dishes prepared in South Indian home. It is tasty, makes a good meal and is actually a festive delicacy. A traditional festive meal has it as one of the savoury dishes prepared without onion.
Today, I have a quick-fix lunch box menu. It is ideal to prepare for weekend dinner too. A quick dinner is ready if you have pre-cooked rice on hand. You may use fresh green peas instead of ground nuts.
This is a vegan and gluten-free food, considering that you are using gluten-free asafoetida.
Lemon rice is easy to prepare, filling, can be made with or without onion and one can use left over rice too.
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoon bengal gram
- 2 teaspoon urad dal
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 cup peanut
- 4 green chilly
- a few curry leaves
- 1 lemon
- coriander leaves for garnishing
- Allow the rice too cool.
- Take oil in a pan, add mustard seeds. As it crackles, put bengal and urad dal to it. Allow them to cook for a few seconds, throw in the peanuts and curry leaves. Stir occasionally. Add green chillies, turmeric powder and asafoetida to it.
- Now, put green chilli pieces, after a few second put the onion pieces to it. Let cook for sometime.
- Once it turns translucent, turn off the stove.
- Put rice to it. Add salt and mix it.
- Put lemon juice and chopped coriander to it.
- Lemon rice is ready to serve.
Take a tip:
- Fresh peas may be added to it. Avoid using groundnuts if using peanuts.
- Adjust the quantity of green chilly as per your liking.
- Fresh coconut may be added if serving immediately. Avoid putting it in lunch box, it may turn stale.
- Grains of rice should be separate.
This is an old post which I have redone now. Sending this to Foodies Redoing Old Post15, a group which we participate every fortnightly. I have updated the post with better pictures and text.
If you have liked this post, do leave a comment, I will be glad to hear from you. Are you making this dish? Take a picture and share it on Instagram by tagging @foodiejayashree or onFacebook by tagging @evergreendishes. I will share them further.
Let’s be connected. Subscribe to get all updates in your inbox.