Rasam is popular accompaniment with rice in South India. Our food seems to be incomplete without rice and rasam. Called by various names as Saaru or Bele Saaru, it is prepared by different methods from region to region.
Rasam is considered as an ideal food because it is light on the stomach. The rasam powder consists of spices such as cumin,coriander seeds and methi which are considered to be good for health. This food is recommended for toddlers and aged people.
- turdal cooked 1 small bowl
- tomatoes 2
- tamarind small lemon sized
- ghee 1tsp
- mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
- asafoetida a pinch
- turmeric powder 1/4tsp
- rasam powder 2tsp jagger a small piece
- curry leaves a few
- coriander for garnishing
- Wash and cut the tomatoes into small pieces.
- Soak tamarind in water for sometime.
- Make seasoning with ghee,add mustard seeds, turmeric powder and asafoetida ,as they splutter add the tomato along with salt and some water. Let cook for sometime.
- Meanwhile,extract the pulp of the tamarind.
- With a wide ladle, mash the tomatoes and add the tamarind pulp, rasam powder and jaggery to it.Let boil. Add curry leaves.
- Take the cooked dal and blend it well . Put it into the boiling pot.
- Add required quantity of water. The consistency should be thin.
- Allow to boil on a low flame. Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve with hot plain rice.
[social_share style=”bar” align=”horizontal” heading_align=”inline” facebook=”1″ twitter=”1″ google_plus=”1″ linkedin=”1″ pinterest=”1″ /]