The traditional food of a good vegetable with a hot chutney and a tasty dal with rotis or chapatis is more fulfilling than all the chaats and other delicacies which we love to eat outside. Nothing like food cooked at home, you can sense the satisfaction after eating outside for a week.
Ridge gourd is often used to make vegetable after scraping the skin. It is called as herekayi in kannada and torai in hindi for your information.
The peel is often discarded. It can be used to make this chutney which is very tasty. Take care to wash the ridge gourd well. This dish can be used with rice as well as chapatis. Steaming hot rice with ghee and chutney is the usual beginning of a south indian food.
- ridge gourd peel of 5 veggies
- ridge gourd pieces 3 ( remaining two can be used in dal)
- fresh coconut 1 bowl
- urad dal 2 tbsp
- green chilly 4
- tamarind pulp 2 tsp
- salt to taste
For tempering :
- oil 2 tsp
- mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
- asafoetida 1/8 tsp
- turmeric powder 1/8 tsp
- Wash the ridge gourd, and scrape the skin. Keep it aside.
- Cut a few chunks and keep in another bowl.
- Dry roast the urad dal.
- Take a little oil and roast the green chillies.
- Now , put them aside and some more oil. Add asafoetida and the peel of ridge gourd , later add the chunks too.
- When soft, remove from flame and let cool for sometime.
- Grind all the ingredients together.
- Make a tempering and serve the ridge gourd chutney.
Subscribe to get a book of handy hints for free
[inbound_forms id=”default_1″ name=”First, Last, Email Form”]
[social_share style=”bar” align=”horizontal” heading_align=”inline” facebook=”1″ twitter=”1″ google_plus=”1″ linkedin=”1″ pinterest=”1″ /]