Urad dal wada / uddina wade
Published on December 20, 2014

Urad dal wada are tasty and loved by all. It is usually served along  with idli in restaurants. It is one of the essentials of South Indian breakfast.

Urad dal is soaked and then made into a thick batter, seasoned with spices and then deep fried in oil. Shaped like doughnuts, these have always been my favourite. With or without chutney, I love these fried dumplings. Today, a sneak and peek at this one.

This is vegan and gluten free snack, ideal for breakfast along with idly or as an accompaniment with any meal. It is tasty and one cannot  resist having a couple of them. It is usually served with coconut chutney but one can dunk them in sambar or thick curd, it tastes awesome.

This is an old post which I had written when I started my blog. Now, the post is redesigned with new picture and content, looking back there is a phenomenal change in the pictures and the way of writing. Well, that’s life, we try to get better each day isn’t it? And this post is part of the new group that I have joined Foodies_Redoing Old Posts started by Renu. The purpose is to give a new face to the old posts that we had written long back.

urad dal wada

urad dal wada

INGREDIENTS :

• 2 cup urad dal
  • 5 green chilly
  • coriander leaves
  • a few fresh coconut pieced
  • curry leaves
  • salt
  • water
  • oil for frying

METHOD :

• Soak urad dal in water for three hours.
  • Grind it to a fine batter with little water.
  • In another jar, grind green chilly and coriander and mix with it. Throw in a few roughly cut curry leaves, coconut pieces  and salt.
  • Heat oil in a pan , when done, beat and take some batter, make a hole with the thumb, and slowly release it into the oil. Initially, one needs a little practice to make urad dal wada, but once you know the trick, you can do it.
  • In the beginning, one may not be able to make them and needs to be satisfied with the usual round balls.
  • Fry until brown on medium flame, remove and put them on a tissue paper.
  • Serve with coconut chutney.

Pin it for later:

urad dal wada

urad dal wada

urad dal wada

Urad Dal Wada

Urad dal wada is a popular fried snack from South India. It is usually served for breakfast along with idli, chutney and sambar.
Course Breakfast
Cuisine South Indian
Keyword south indian breakfast, urad dal wada
Author Jayashree

• 2 cup urad dal
  • 5 green chilly
  • coriander leaves
  • a few fresh coconut pieces
  • curry leaves
  • salt
  • water
  • oil for frying

1. Soak urad dal in water for three hours.
  2. Grind it to a fine batter with little water.
  3. In another jar, grind green chilly and coriander and mix with it. Throw in a few roughly cut curry leaves, coconut pieces  and salt.
  4. Heat oil in a pan , when done, beat and take some batter, make a hole with the thumb, and slowly release it into the oil. Initially, one needs a little practice to make urad dal wada, but once you know the trick, you can do it.
  5. In the beginning, one may not be able to make them and needs to be satisfied with the usual round balls.
  6. Fry until brown on medium flame, remove and put them on a tissue paper.
  7. Serve with coconut chutney.

Recipe Notes

Add a little quantity of water while grinding, we need a batter of thick consistency.

Urad dal wada / uddina wade

If you have liked this post, do share it with your family and friends. If you ever recreate it, take a picture and share it by tagging @foodiejayashree on Instagram or @evergreendishes on Facebook. I will be glad to see your creation.

Urad dal wada / uddina wade

Subscribe to get a book of handyhints for free

1. Anu Nagaraja

yes, Jayashree- you are very right! it needs practice! yours looks perfect and crispy – wish I could eat from the picture:)

Thankyou so much Anu

2. Shubha

Yummy crispy vadas.. Well made Jayashree.. Was just about to make my evening tea..wish could eat a couple of these yummy vadas along with it:)

Thankyou so much Subha

Thankyou so much Shana Sutton

3. Kristen from The Road to Domestication

Those look delish! Thanks so much for sharing with us at the #homematters linky party! We’re back on January 9 🙂 We’d love for you to join us then!

Glad you liked them. Thanks for the appreciation. Have a great weekend!

4. Renu Agrawal Dongre

One of my favorite South Indian dishes. Love them dipped in some hot sambar or with chutney. Yum

I love wada and that’s what I have for breakfast or dinner whenever I’m in India. I tried making them with my hand with the hole in the middle and found it difficult. But as you said the key word is practise.

6. Jolly

One of my favourite South Indian breakfast. Yours looks so perfect and delicious. Love to eat with sambhar and coconut chutney. Such a comfort meal.

7. themadscientistskitchen

Well udin Vade are a delight. I love them too. As for the new pics they look good.

8. Sandhya

I can relate to the old photos on the blog. I need to update a few too. But our recipes are time tested and your vadas and the tips are excellent!

9. Jagruti Dhanecha

One of our favourite south Indian delicacies, never knew that these are served with steamed idlis.

10. blessmyf🍎🍏dbypayal

Such a fabulous treat. Wadas look absolutely lip smacking. You have explained the recipe so well. Thumbs up.

11. Seema Doraiswamy Sriram

It is always a treat to come home and have a vada with a cup of tea. Its so long since I made some. i am going to make your recipe tommorow so i can sip it with some tea,

12. Sasmita Sahoo Samanta

Great recipe, love to have these cutes in my snack .. first time i came to know that these are served with idlis 😮

13. Lathiya

This is my husband’s and kids favorite. You made it perfect.

1. My top ten breakfast recipes | evergreendishes - […] 9 Wada  Oh ! these add just a zing to the breakfast and those dreaded calories, but once in…