upma
Published on December 10, 2014

I am pretty excited as I write this one. Eight like minded  bloggers together have started a blog hop and this is our first one. So let me start right away. We will be working on a particular theme, twice a month and its ” Breakfast ” in the beginning. I am making our very own Upma here today.

Upma is a popular south indian breakfast,which needs no introduction. It can be quickly prepared and is tasty. Much varieties with different kind of semolina and veggies can be made.

This version of upma is different from the usual kind as I am using semolina of a different kind. Here,it is Bombay Rawa,that is used to make this one . Let me take you to the recipe.

Ingredients :

• coriander
  • curry leaves
  • sugar a pinch
  • lemon 1
  • water 6 cups

Method:

• Take a kadai and put some ghee in it. Add the cashew pieces and semolina and roast slowly on a low flame until light brown in colour. When done,keep aside on a plate.
  • Put the oil and the remaining in the kadai, and make the seasoning,add the green chillies, curry leaves and onions and saute till lightly  pale in colour.
  • Now, add the water and the salt to it.
  • Let boil. Once it boils, simmer and slowly add the roasted semolina.Take care as lumps can be very easily formed. Let cook for sometime.
  • Add finely cut coriander leaves, sugar and lemon juice and mix well. Serve hot with dry chutney if you wish.

After the breakfast, I thought I should serve a milkshake and here is a healthy one for you Oats and Banana Milkshake.

INGREDIENTS :

• milk 2glasses
  • bananas frozen 3
  • oats 1cup
  • honey 1tbsp
  • ice cubes
bananaand oats milkshake

bananas and oats with a dash of honey

METHOD :

Blend all the ingredients together and serve in tall glasses with ice cubes.

Glad if you can share it !

Here are the other links of my blog hopping friends.

Anu Nagaraj

Deepa

Ritu Ahuja

Meri Rasoi

Poorni’s Cookbook

Marudhu’s kitchen

Piyali Sekhar Mutha

Subscribe to get an e-book of handyhints.

[inbound_forms id=”default_1″ name=”First, Last, Email Form”]

1. Poornima

I would love to have a sip of that Milkshake right away, it looks so tempting.. Upma is my favorite breakfast option, looks so very delicious!Easy but filling breakfast for any day of the week..

Thankyou Poornima, so good to have you all here. Glad you liked it.

2. shreya

Milk shake has always been my fav. I use to prepare it very commonly and relish its each sip. thank u for the different recipe.

Thankyou so much Shreya.

3. Anu Nagaraja

love your heartwarming upma and the delicious healthy milkshake! Never tried Bombay Rava – this is something I need to try. thanks for the recipes 🙂 super milkshake!

Thankyou Anu, here it is always made using Bombay Rawa, glad to have you all

4. Jeena

Wonderful breakfast.. Upma is well made and the milkshake is tempting..

Thankyou so much Jeena

5. Ritu Ahuja

Very nice combination of milkshake and upma. I love eating my breakfast with a glass of milk. This looks like a perfect breakfast meal.

Thankyou Ritu, so glad and excited today

6. marudhuskitchen

Most comforting food around the globe..
    with a lovely milkshake. .like to have it piping hot…with a dollop of ghee..on it

Thankyou Vani, glad you liked it and good to know that.

7. PIYALI

Your excitement has contagiously touched all of us dear Jayashree and if it had not been for your initiation this Blog Hop would not be happening. I am grateful to have this link with you and thank you for this wonderful connect.
    Being married to a South Indian one of my greatest trials have been preparing Upma which I never seemed to get and still don’t. This very well written post shall therefore be my guide from now on. The MilkShake is mouthwateringly inviting. Lovely and great job.

Thankyou Piyali, I am so glad you liked it and nice to know that you are enjoying the ride.

8. Deepa N

Hello Jayashree,

I really want you to thank you for coming up with blog hop concept, its because of you and Anu we all are united and enjoying this exciting Journey.

This combo is truly nutritious and very tempting.
    Frankly I am not so good in upma preparation, and always end up making lumpy unpalatable dish. So this recipe helps me a lot to preapre upma in delicious and tempting.way..

About milk oats combination, this actually making this platter very very nutritious and best breakfast combo..

Banana, milk, oats, honey is surely big thumps up as I am biggest fan of milk shakes and smoothies.

Thanks you once again for making me part of this beautiful journey.

Hello Deepa,
      I am so happy that this blog hop is liked by all of you.Glad you liked the recipe of mine. I am also indeed happy to meet like minded persons here..Cheers

9. Meri Rasoi

Yum!!!! Upma is my all time favorite but what tempted the most is the milkshake.. I love all kinds of milk. But i have never tried banana and oats in a milk shake:) Will definitely try it..
    Thanks for initiating the Blog Hop Event!!!..Its been fun.

Thankyou Subha, glad you liked my recipes. Nice to know you here
      Cheers

10. swathi

Looks delicious thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop

Thankyou so much

11. April J Harris (@apriljharris)

I was so interested to read your post as I always like learning about different food traditions. It’s so interesting for me (living in the UK) to see a semolina based dish served for breakfast – and it sounds wonderful! The smoothie sounds very delicious and nutritious too. Thank you for sharing this post with us at the Hearth and Soul hop!

Thankyou so much,Have a great day !

12. shreya

U r most welcome. I have already prepared the dish as per your recipe and it turned out to be just woww for my family members. They loved it so much. Thanx a lot……..

Good to know this and am glad you all liked it..Shreya

Thankyou so much Meenakshi

13. Padma

Now I got it dear!!…Congratulations on the blog hop…very nice concept..Great going!!

Thankyou dear Padma,

14. Sudha Rawal

Light,easy & healthy breakfast……

Thankyou so much for the visit Sudha Rawal

15. Maha

Upma luks Very tempitng n delicious

1. My top ten breakfast recipes | evergreendishes - […] 6 Upma  A quick and tasty dish, it finds its place very often on the table and this post…