Idli are an all time favourite for many of us. I love making this one, as they are soft and supple. There may be a variation in other recipe as this is modified by me.They make an ideal breakfast with sambar and chutney. Why is this named as “Chennai Idli” ? Chennai is a place in South India,it is the capital city of the state of Tamilnadu. It is here, they were first made and was very famous for these soft and supple idlis. Hence the name as “Chennai Idli”
- salem rice 2 cups
- urad dal 1 cup
- semolina (idli ) 1 cup
- Soak the rice in hot water for 4 hours.
- Soak urad dal seperately in cold water for two hours.
- Grind both of them seperately with adequate quantity of water. Later ,mix both together.
- Now, rinse the semolina in water for sometime. Mix into the ground batter.
- Keep in a warm place to ferment for 8 hours.
- Add salt and make idlis the usual way, in a steamer.
- Serve with coconut chutney and sambar and a dollop of butter if you wish !
Just a note :
Salem rice is a different kind of rice, which is used in making idlis and dosas. It is partially brown and smaller in size.
Make sure to get your copy of ” Book of Handyhints” which contains many useful tips for you. Subscribe to the mailing list and get it now.
Chutney recipe can be found here
Note: This post contains affilate links
Sharing is Caring
Subscribe to this blog to get a free book of handy hints.