Ghee rice and gravy always makes a sumptous meal at parties or on weekends and family get togethers. I always prefer the rice dishes to be prepared in a rice cooker as it is perfectly cooked and the heat is retained, but it is a personal choice. In all my recipes, I am giving the traditional method of cooking,but you can easily switch it over to the rice cooker after you saute it in a wok.
For the rice
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 1 cup onion slit length wise
- 1 cup peas
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 2 sticks of cinnamon
- 4 cloves
- 4 cardamom
- 2 green chillies slit lengthwise
- 2 tsp cumin
- cashewnuts and raisins
- Wash the rice and keep aside.
- Take ghee in a pressure pan and add the spices,cumin and green chilli.
- Add the onions and saute till light pink.
- Then add the peas and saute for a while.
- Then add the rice and stir fry for sometime. At this stage,you can change the contents to a rice cooker and add salt and water to it. Otherwise,continue to step 4.
- Add five cups of water and salt to it. A little bit of lime juice creates wonders.
- Allow to cook until one whistle.
- Garnish with cashew and raisins sauted in ghee.
Serve with curry. Happy Cooking!
Subscribe to get a book of handy hints for free.
Care to Share