Gujarati thepla, methi paratha
Methi Chapati | Gujarati Thepla
Published on April 24, 2014

Methi chapatis  are tasty and healthy. It is a popular dish of the Gujaratis. It is known by the name of “Thepla”.  It makes an ideal mid day meal  or for the lunch box.

The ingredients that you need are:

• wheat flour 2 cups
  • gram flour 1tbsp
  • fenugreek or methi leaves 2 bunch
  • chilli powder 2 tsp
  • turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
  • a pinch of asafoetida
  • cumin powder 1 tsp
  • coriander powder 1 tsp
  • curd 1 tbsp
  • oil for smearing
Gujarati thepla, methi paratha

Gujarati thepla, methi paratha

Method:

1. Cut the fenugreek leaves finely. Immerse it in salt water, strain and keep aside.
  2. Take  a wide bowl and mix all the ingredients with water into a dough of thick consistency.
  3. Keep aside for ten minutes.
  4. Take a ball, dust it with flour and roll into a circle.
  5. Heat the tawa.Put the rolled thepla  onto the tawa. Smear oil and flip to the other side. Put oil and roast on medium flame.
  6. Roast until brown spots are visible. Keep them in a container. Serve them as and when needed. Tastes good when it is hot.

Methi Thepla / Gujarati cuisine

Methi thepla is a popular dish from Gujarati cuisine. A flatbread with the goodness of fresh fenugreek leaves and other spices makes a good breakfast or lunch option.
Author Jayashree

• wheat flour 2 cups
  • gram flour 1tbsp
  • fenugreek or methi leaves 2 bunch
  • chilli powder 2 tsp
  • turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
  • a pinch of asafoetida
  • cumin powder 1 tsp
  • coriander powder 1 tsp
  • curd 1 tbsp
  • oil for smearing

3. Keep aside for ten minutes.
  4. Take a ball, dust it with flour and roll into a circle.

1. Jagruti

These paratha are my favourite, but I mostly make Kathiyawadi Methi Thepla 🙂 and devour with masala chai.

2. Drashti Dholakia

Methi theplas are an all-time favourite and made frequently in our home. We enjoy with a cup of tea or with pickle / curd. Nice click 🙂

3. Priya Suresh

Methi thepla with mango pickle, simply love with combinaton, such a killer combo. Beautifully rolled healthy theplas.

4. Shobha Keshwani

These are our family favourite.. I make them often.

5. Jyoti Babel

I love thepla – it is such a nutritious dish. i often make it for my son’s tiffin box

6. sapana

Methi thepla is my favorite breakfast in winters. I can finish three to four in one time.

7. Rafeeda - The Big Sweet Tooth

This is a healthy and delicious breakfast… looks so tempting, and would love to have it with some karak chai…

8. sujithaeasycooking

Methi thepla is a healthy and filling breakfast.. Perfect for this hot sunny day..

9. Priya Satheesh

Yummy chapati. I always prefer to have this as such without any side dish as it has a lovely masala flavour.

10. firsttimercook

One of my family fav dish these are. We simply love these methi flavor always 🙂

11. Nivedita Thadani

One of the most regular breakfast in my house. And a must while traveling m I love the fresh aroma of methi leaves in it. I try adding different spices evertime.

12. simplyvegetarian777

one of my favorite ways to eat roti is thepla. delicious and healthy.

13. MRS NAYNA KANABAR

Methi theplas are a family favorite in our household and no trip, outing, picnic is complete unless we take some of these with us. I love your recipe nad could easily eat a couple with some pickle.

14. Uma Srinivas

Yesterday I made this tepla. I have plenty of methi leaves in my garden. So it’s was flavorful and delicious. Your recipe is almost similar to mine 🙂 Yum!

15. Vidya Narayan

Theplas are a must do on my weekly menu. I mix a variety of flours and make theplas to avoid boredom. With fresh methi vanishing (courtesy summers), I will miss the fresh variety. Theplas with a cup of tea make a wonderful combo right? I dont need any accompaniments with this actually if tea is available. Great share.

That is an absolutely delicious methi thepla. I love the use of besan and spices — makes it so flavorful and yummy!!

17. Padmajha PJ

This is one of our favorites. My lil one does not like fenugreek in any other preparation other than this one! We also love to have this with our evening coffee / tea.

18. Ruchisvegkitchen

Being a Gujarati , i am totally crazy for thepls specially methi thepla. I use wheat and Bajra flour mix with some sesame in this. Love it

19. Lathiya

I make varieties of chapathis at least twice a week..love the flavorful methi thepla..looks yummy

20. code2cook

nom nom nom. methi thepla is one of flatbread which is full of of nutrition and easy to make. My son loves it.

21. Preethi Prasad

I just love methi Theplas with aachar and garam masala chai.Fantastic share Jayashree.

1. Methi Paratha - evergreendishes - […] dishes. Methi parathas are tasty and make great snack for the lunch box. I had earlier written of one…
  2. Potato and pea paratha / Aloo matar paratha | Evergreendishes - […] other paratha recipes on blog: Mint Paratha, Thepla, Spinach […]
  3. Zucchini Paratha / Thepla | Guest Post Series - […] other stuffed flat bread varieties on the blog : Methi Chapati, Mint Paratha, Potato and Pea […]