Idli is a popular breakfast from South India. It is the healthiest breakfast that we can serve to our family.
Idli is a steamed cake made from the batter of lentil and rice or rava. It is ideal for people of all age groups from babies to old grand parents.
Idli is prepared in two ways by using rice along with lentil or rava with lentil. Today, I am sharing the second kind of recipe here.
The making of idli involves three steps:
- Soaking of lentil
- Grinding of lentil
- Mixing of cream of wheat
Soaking of lentil : Wash the urad dal and soak it in water for at least two hours.
Grinding of lentil: You can either grind it in a mixer or wet grinder.
Mixing of cream of wheat : It is soaked for half an hour and later mixed in the lentil batter.
Fermentation: It should be kept in a wide vessel in a warm place to ferment for five to six hours, preferably overnight.
Preparation: The next day, mix salt in the batter and prepare the idlis.
About the Idli Cooker and Idli Maker :
Idli Cooker and Idli Maker are available in the market. Idlis can be made in pressure cooker too but do not use the whistle. Idli can be made in different shapes too. Plate Idli (Thatte Idli), Glass Idli ( lota idli), button idli. Do you know that they are also made in moulds made of jackfruit leaves? It gives a good aroma to it.
About the event:
This is an old post which I had written in the beginning, when I started blogging. Now I have redone with better pictures and text, sending this to Foodies_Redoing OldPost 24. This is a fortnightly event where we work on one old post regularly.
How to make Idli
- 1 bowl of urad dal
- 2 bowl of idli rava
- salt to taste
- Wash the urad dal and soak in water for one and a half hour.
- Grind into a fine paste by using adequate amount of water.
- Soak the semolina in water for fifteen minutes.
- Squeeze the water out from the semolina and mix it in the batter.
- Keep it for fermentation in a warm place for five to six hours, preferably overnight.
- The next day, add salt to the batter and mix it . If the consistency is thick, add some water.
- Pour the batter into idli moulds and cook it in a idli pan or pressure cooker. If using pressure cooker, do not use the whistle.
- For the first ten minutes, steam it on high flame, later reduce it. You need 15 -20 minutes to make a batch of idlis.
- Serve hot with chutney and sambar.
Take a tip:
- Fermentation time varies from region to region. It is quicker during summer and takes longer during winter.
- Mix the batter using hand, the heat of the human body gives a good texture.
- Idli Rava is made from rice. It is slightly coarse in texture. This is different from Bombay Rava that is used for upma.
Idli is an ideal breakfast to serve any day. It is steamed, easy to prepare and filling.
- 1 cup urad dal
- 2 cup semolina
Wash the urad dal and soak it for two hours.
Grind it to a smooth batter.
Soak the semolina in water for ten minutes. Mix into the batter, close and keep it in a warm place to ferment.
Next day, add salt to it. Heat a idli maker, grease the moulds (not necessary) and put batter in the cavity.
Steam it for fifteen to twenty minutes.
Serve with chutney and sambar.
Pin it for later:Idli
If you have liked this post, do share it with your family and friends. If you ever make this, take a picture and share it by tagging @foodiejayashree on Instagram or @evergreendishes on Facebook or Twitter.
Subscribe to get all updates and an e-book for free.