Carrot halwa is tasty and makes a delectable sweet for any ocassion. It is a winter delight when carrots are available in plenty, time to make this delicacy. It is ideal for any occasion from celebrations to festivities.
Methods of making Carrot Halwa:
Carrot halwa is a popular sweet and can be made as per our need. The traditional one is tasty and has the authentic taste of slow cooked pudding in milk. In the second method, one can substitute milk with condensed milk and the time is considerably rediced. In the third method, khoya is used to give a rich taste to it.
Here, I am sharing the traditional method of preparing this recipe. I have cooked the carrots in milk in the beginning and I prefer making it this way. But, the grated carrots can be roasted in a little ghee and then cooked in milk. Now, you can choose either way to make it.
Uses of Carrot Halwa:
- It is ideal as a sweet dish served along with any meal.
- It can be served as a dessert.
- It is ideal to serve with ice cream.
- It is used in fusion dishes.
Let’s get to the recipe of Carrot Halwa (traditional method)
The ingredients that you need are:
- 1 kilogram carrot
- 3/4 litre milk
- 1/2 kilogram sugar
- 3 tablespoon ghee
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- Wash the carrots by scrubbing them well. Pat dry. Grate the carrots with a grater or put them in a food processor.
- Take a thick bottom pan, add the grated carrot and the milk, keep them to boil on a low flame.
- Once the quantity is reduced and it is cooked, add sugar and ghee. The sugar and ghee melts and the consistency is thin. Let cook, keep stirring in between.
- It is done, once the quantity is reduced and it is thickened.
- Add cardamom powder.
- Roast the nuts in a little ghee and put over it.
Check the video recipe of Carrot Halwa
If you have liked this post, do share it further.
This is an old post which I have redone with better pictures, text and inserted a video. Sending this Foodies_Redoing Old Post 13, a foodie group which I am a part of. Every fortnight we redo a post.
Pin it for later:
Appreciate your comments, it really motivates me to write more.
If you ever make it, take a picture and share it on social media by tagging me, I will be glad to share it further.
Subscribe to get a book of handy hints for free !