Avial / aviyal is a popular dish from Kerala cuisine. Assorted vegetables are used to make this delicious stir fry, it tastes good with hot steamed rice.
This is a popular dish of Kerala. It is lightly spiced with various kinds of umpteen vegetables. It makes a good dish when you have a stack of veggies at home or a few assorted ones. It is usually served with rice but can also be eaten with chapati.
Avial / Aviyal / Kerala cuisine
- 20 beans
- 1 carrot
- 1 potato
- 2 cucumber
- 1/2 bowl green pea
- 2 drumstick
- 1/4 yam
- 1/2 bowl fresh grated coconut
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 green chilly
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- a few curry leaves
- salt to taste
- water for grinding
- Wash and cut the veggies.
- Boil them separately in a pan with water. Remove the stock and use it for any other purpose.
- Grind coconut, green chilly and cumin together with some water to a fine paste.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, as they crackle, put asafoetida, curry leaves and turmeric powder. Put the veggies, the ground paste and salt, give a stir.
- Heat for sometime, let the flavours imbibe.
- Serve hot with rice or chapati.
Pin it for later:
This was one of the first few posts that I wrote when I started my website. I have joined a group Foodies_Redoing Old Posts and we give a new look to one post every fortnight. This post is part of Foodies Redoing Old Post 5. Believe me, I had not even put a single picture for this post ! Well, I have come a long way since then.
If you have liked this post, do leave a comment and share it with your family and friends. If you ever make this dish, take a picture and tag @foodiejayashree on Instagram or @evergreendishes on Facebook.