Today, marks the beginning of 2017, another new year. Wishing all my readers a very happy and prosperous new year. May this year be an awesome one for all of us. On this ocassion presenting a rice dish from South Kanara. This is another variety of rice dish which eases my cooking. It is full of flavours and easy to make. This is “Kempu Chitranna” which means Red Rice. Continue reading Kempu Chitranna rice dish from south kanara
Spanish rice is a flavourful rice which can be easily prepared with a few ingredients. It is awesome and has a unique flavour. The hint of chipotle adobado sauce gives a earthy and distinct flavor to it. This is a new dimension to my cooking and I am absolutely loving it.
Spanish rice is ideal for the lunch box. It can be made quickly. It is tasty and different. Continue reading Spanish rice with chipotle adobado
Rice is the staple food of Indians. We consume it as plain rice with some accompaniment or any variety of rice dish. The variety of rice dishes are more popular with children.They love variety of pulav and biryanis. Kadai pulav is a tasty rice dish that you can prepare in half an hour. I use only carrot and peas for this recipe. Thus, there is no much chopping also involved.
Kadai pulav is ideal for fussy children. It makes a good brunch or lunch box menu. Children love colourful dishes.
- Rice basmati 250 grams
- carrot 1 big
- peas 1 cup
- coriander powder 1 tsp
- cumin powder 1/2 tsp
- garam masala powder 1/2 tsp
- chilly powder 1-2 tsp
- cumin 1/2 tsp
- oil/ghee 3tbsp
- salt to taste
- Cook the rice in pressure cooker and keep it aside. The grains should be seperate. Put it in a wide plate.
- Grate the carrot and keep it aside.
- Chop the onion finely.
- Take oil in a kadai and heat it. Add cumin and let it crackle. Then add the onions, saute for a while.
- Then, add the grated carrot and peas to it. Let cook for sometime on a low flame.
- Now, add the dry powders, cumin powder, doriander powder, chilly powder, turmeric powder and garam masala. Mix well.
- Add salt and keep it aside.
- Now add the cooked rice and mix it evenly.
- Kadai pulav is ready to serve.
Do check out my book on Amazon.
I am sending this post of Kadai Pulav to Angie’s Fiesta Friday,
Soya chunks pulav is tasty and easy to make one pot meal, providing with the necessary proteins to the body. Soyabean is a good source of nutrition for vegetarians and these chunks can be used easily in cooking.
Being a vegetarian, dairy products, green leafy vegetables, legumes and pulses play an important role in our diet on daily basis. Of late, quinoa and soya have made their existence.
I have added beet and cauliflower also along with the regular veggies. Soya chunks are of “Nutrela” brand. While boiling, adding a pinch of salt gives taste to it. Do take a look at the recipe, I have tweaked it than the usual one and it was good. Over to the recipe of SOYA CHUNKS PULAV
- Measurement : 1 cup=250ml
- rice (basmati) 1 cup
- beans 15-20
- carrot 1
- cauliflower 1/4
- beetroot 1/2
- onion 2 (small)
- cloves 3
- cardamom 3
- cinnamon 1 inch
- shahjeera 1/2tsp
- bay leaf 1
- mint leaves 1/2 cup
- coriander 1 cup
- green chilly 1
- ginger 1 inch
- garlic 5 cloves
- oil ghee mixture 3 tbsp
- salt to taste
- water 2 cups
- soya chunks 30
- Cut the veggies into small pieces and put them seperately in water.
- Wash and soak the rice in water for fifteen minutes.
- Grind mint leaves, coriander, green chilly, ginger, garlic and two tablespoon of onion to a paste.
- Take the oil -ghee mixture in a pressure cooker and throw in the spices. After a few seconds, put the onions and saute them for a while.
- Now, add the beans and saute them.
- Throw in the carrots, beet and cauliflower, in the order and mix accordingly.
- Add the rice and gently mix it.
- Put the green paste and saute for thirty seconds.
- Add two cups of water and salt. Mix thoroughly.
- Close the lid and keep the whistle. Cook for one whistle.
- Put the soya chunks in water with a little salt. Boil for two minutes.
- Once the pressure releases, remove the lid and gently mix it.
- Sueeze the water from the soya chunks and put it in the pulav.
- Serve with onion raita or any gravy.
Grind coriander, mint leaves, ginger, green chilly and cloves of garlic, along with two tablespoon of onions.
Veggies at a glance.
The paste is ready.
The spices that I used.
Heat the oil ghee mixture. Add the spices and let it splutter for a few seconds. Then, add the onions.
Once the onions are partially cooked. add the vegetables as beans, carrot, beet root, cauliflower accordingly. Finally add the rice. Again give a stir.
Now, add the green paste and mix gently. After thirty seconds, add water and salt. Give a stir, close the lid and keep the whistle. Allow to cook for one whistle.
Boil the soya chunks in water for two minutes. Squeeze the water out and add to the pulav. Put a pinch of salt while boiling them.
Once the pressure releases, remove the lid and gently mix the veggies and rice together. Add the soya chunks to it and serve.
Soya chunks Pulav is ready to serve. You can use onion raita or any gravy along with it.
If you are using a rice cooker, you can follow the same steps until you saute the rice, then put it in the electric cooker and add the water.
Subscribe to get a book of handyhints for free !
Rice dishes form one of the major attractions in South Indian festivals. Masala Bhath is one such kind which is tasty and can be made with the available ingredients.
Preparations for Ugadi are on in most of the houses. It is an important festival for the people of South India. It is also celebrated by Sindhis, Marwaris and Manipuris. It falls on the first day known as Padya in the month of Chaitra of the Hindu calendar. This is considered as the beginning of new year.
People rise early in the morning, have an oil bath, decorate the house with mango leaves and pooja is performed. The new panchanga is worshipped and it is customary to make an offering of neem and jaggery mixed with raw mango pieces. It is called as Bevu Bella. It signifies that we should accept both joy and sorrow gleefully.
Among the sweets, kheer and holige are usually prepared. Today, I am presenting a tasty Masala Bhath to you all. Do read further.
Here I am using capsicum, potatoes and peas. The potatoes and peas are parboiled. Fresh spice powder adds a good taste, though one can make it ahead and store. I prefer using the freshly made one.
- Rice 1cup 250 grams
- potatoes 3
- peas 1 cup
- capsicum 2 large
- spice mix
- chilli powder
- salt to taste
- For seasoning :
- oil 3tbsp
- bengal gram 2 tsp
- urad dal 2 tsp
- asafoetida 1/4 tsp
- turmeric powder a pinch
- For the spice powder:
- coriander seeds 3tbsp
- bengal gram 1tbsp
- urad dal 1tbsp
- dry red chillies 6
- curry leaves a few
- cloves 2
- peppercorns 15
- cinnamon 1inch stick
- oil little for roasting
- Cook the rice seperately and keep it. Add less quantity of water while cooking. The grains should be seperate.
- Cut the veggies and keep them seperately.
- Boil the potatoes seperately, when they are half cooked you add peas to it. If you are using frozen peas, avoid doing this.
- Roast the ingredients seperately with a little oil given under the section :for the spice powder “
- When cool, grind them to a powder.
- Take a kadai and make the seasoning.
- Add mustard seeds, and as it crackles put the bengal gram and urad dal. Allow them to turn a little golden in colour. Add turmeric powder and asafoetida to it.
- Put the curry leaves and add the capsicum. Allow to cook for sometime.
- Then add the boiled veggies.
- Add salt and three tea spoons of ground spice mix.
- Add a little chilli powder and mix well.
- Now, add rice and mix gently.
- Masala bhath is ready to serve.
Capsicum is cut into pieces.
Potatoes are cut and put in water. Wash it thoroughly.
I store peas in deep freezer, hence I put them in water.
Rice is cooked and once the pressure is released I have put it in a wide plate to cool.
Potatoes are put to boil first, later I added peas to it.
Take oil in a kadai. Add mustard seeds, as it crackles, then add bengal gram and urad dal. Add in good quantity, they taste great while eating. Then add curry leaves, asafoetida and turmeric powder.
Wash the capsicum pieces and put them into it.
Once they are cooked, add the boiled veggies.
Now add the spice mix. Ingredients for spice mix are given above. Add three teaspoon of the masala powder and a little chilly powder. Put salt also.
Add the cooked rice and mix well. You can garnish with coriander leaves.
Masala Bhath is ready to serve.
Do check out my other dish also.
Soon coming on the blog Ugadi Special !
Khichdi is a popular one pot meal which is relished by all. Popularly known as pongal, this has been made since ages, but with time, different versions are available. With brown rice being used regularly in many kitchens, khichdi is also made of it. Here is another kind of khichdi made with brown rice. This is a multigrain khichdi, very healthy and unique. Continue reading Multigrain Khichdi