Pickles add taste and zing to the food that we eat. These are loved and consumed by all. Pickles are usually made during summer and stored in earthen jars to consume for the whole year. Thus, as Wikipedia says, pickling is a process of preserving or expanding the life span of food by either anaerobic fermentation in brine or immersion in vinegar. But, there are versions of instant pickles too which stay good for a couple of days. Here is one such kind, “Instant Mango Pickle”.
Pickles,tangy, sour, hot, the very name of it, salivates our mouth. It is one of the essentials in most Indian homes. Many different kinds are made but the most popular ones are lemon and mango. Chilly, gooseberry, cauliflower, carrot and mixed pickle are the different variety that are prepared.
Today, I am presenting to you an instant variety of pickle made of mango. This post is part of Culinary Hoppers Bloghop with the theme “Pickles”
- Raw mango 2
- chilly powder 2tsp
- For the pickle mix :
- mustard seeds 2tsp
- methi seeds 1tsp
- For the seasoning :
- oil 1tbsp
- mustard seeds 1/4tsp
- asafoetida 1/8 tsp
- turmeric powder a pinch
- curry leaves a few
- Wash the mango and cut into cubes.
- Take a pan and dry roast the ingredients for the mix.
- Grind to a powder.
- Store in an air tight container.
- Take oil in a pan and make the seasoning. Add the mustard seeds, asafoetida and turmeric powder. As the mustard seeds crackle, add the curry leaves and the mango pieces. Put salt and water. Cook for a few minutes,until slight tender.
- Add chilly powder and cook for sometime. Allow the flavours to infuse.
- Then add one and half teaspoon of pickle mix, stir and cook for a minute.
- Remove and keep aside.
- Instant mango pickle is ready to use.
Wash the mango.
Cut into cubes.
Take oil and make the seasoning.
Put in the curry leaves. They give a good aroma.
Add the mango pieces. Put the required quantity of salt.
Mustard seeds and methi seeds for the pickle mix.
Dry roast seperately. Let cool and then grind.
Pickle mix is ready. It can be stored for later use.
Mangoes being cooked.
Chilly powder is added.
Simmer for sometime.
Add the pickle mix.
Mix well and let cook for a minute. Do not boil for a long time now.
Instant mango pickle is ready to serve.
Other recipe links
orange peel pickle by Anu
kochu uppinkayi by Shubha
green chilly pickle by Swati
gobhi,gajar, shelgam pickle by Parvathy
gooseberry pickle by Poornima
instant cut mango pickle by Shobana
mango ginger pickle by anu
lemon pickle by Vani
[social_share style=”bar” align=”horizontal” heading_align=”inline” text=”” heading=”” facebook=”1″ twitter=”1″ google_plus=”1″ linkedin=”1″ pinterest=”1″ link=”” /]
SUBSCRIB E TO GET A BOOK OF HANDYHINTS FOR FREE