Since the beginning of the new year, I have been on a sweet spree here ! My third sweet dish in a row Sweet potato kheer! I recently made this kheer and it was too good, so I decided to share with you all. Sweet potato is again another healthy food . It is rich source of Vitamin A. It also contains Vitamin B, Vitamin C along with other minerals as calcium, magnesium, iron and phosphorous.
Some facts of sweet potato :
Sweet potato is neither a potato nor a yam . It is totally different from both of these.
Sweet potato is a dicotyledon plant and belongs to the family of Convolvulaceae.
It is regarded as one of the worlds healthiest food.
Steaming is the best way to consume this veggie, though it can be boiled or roasted.
It grows well in the tropical region, thus it is found in abundance in Africa, Asia and America.
This post is part of the Culinary Hoppers Blog hop with the theme “Udupi Cuisine”
Udupi cuisine is part of the Karnataka cuisine. Udupi is a small district with a religious background. Thus, this cuisine was formed primarily by the Asthamathas of Udupi. It is a satvic food which makes use of rice, greens and pulses.Coconut is one of the essential ingredients of their cooking. Vegetables as pumpkin, bitter gourd, cucumber, jackfruit and plantain are primarily used.
Now, their cuisine consists of sambar made with fresh spices and coconut, rasam, chutney,gojju, variety of payasams, pickles, and tasty stir fry. It is worthy to mention here that masala dosa is from this place. A wide variety of dosas and idlis are made for breakfast.
Now, for today’s recipe, do check it below
- Sweet potato 250grams
- jaggery 150 grams
- ghee 2tsp
- coconut 1/2 200gms
- cardamom powder 1/4 tsp
- Steam the sweet potatoe in pressure cooker.
- Peel the skin and mash it.
- Put the grated coconut in hot water for fifteen minutes
- Grind it to a fine paste. Pass it through a sieve. This is the coconut milk.
- Repeat the procedure once again. Keep it aside.
- Take ghee in a pan, roast the cashews slightly. Take care not to burn them.Remove the cashews and set aside.
- Add the sweet potato and saute it for two minutes in the same pan.
- Add the coconut milk and jaggery and stir. Once it boils, remove from flame and keep aside.
- Finally,add cardamom powder and garnish with dry fruits.
The other dishes of Udupi Cuisine
- Tomato saaru by Shobana
- Mangalore bun by Vani
- Methi seeds thambli by Anupama
- Appe payasa by Piyali
- Pineapple menaskai by Shubha
- Khus khus payasa by Padma
- Gole bajje by Parvathy
- Wheat haalbai by Poornima
- Karela curry by Swati
- Chayote squash majige huli by Poornima
- Vangi bhat by Piyali
- Huli dosa by Padma
- Ginger tambli by Poornima
- Neer dosa by Padma
Subscribe to get a book of handyhints for free !