This is a famous dish of Karnataka. Its made on many occassions, be it the festivals or get togethers. A dish made of rice and tuvar dal, with goodness of vegetables and some condiments ground together makes it an outstanding one pot meal, which is cherished by many.
The ingredients that you need are:
I1/2 bowl rice
1 bowl tuvar dal
1/2 bowl of green peas
lemon size tamarind
sambar masala powder 3tbsp
oil 2 tbsp
mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
asafoetida a pinch
bengal gram 1tsp
urad dal 1 tsp
cashew pieces a fw
groundnuts 1/2 bowl
To make the sambar powder :
- coriander seeds 5tsp
- bengal gram 1tsp
- urad dal 1tsp
- cinnamon 1 small stick
- cumin 1/2 tsp
- pepper 5
- dessicated coconut little
- red chilli 8
- This is the direct method of cooking. In a thick bottom vessel, boil adequate quantity of water. Add tuvar dal and turmeric powder. Close a lid, and let cook on a low flame.
- Split the beans and cut the potatoes into small cubes.
- After fifteen minutes, when it is half cooked, add the beans.
- a little later add the rice, potatoes and peas.
- Add adequate quantity of water.
- Meanwhile, roast the spices seperately with a little oil. When cool,g rind them to a powder and keep aside.
- Squeeze the pulp of the tamarind.
- Add the tamarind pulp and sambar powder to it.
- Make seasoning in another pan. Put it over the rice and mix well.
- Allow to cook for sometime.
- Serve with papad and cucumber raita.
Take a tip :
Raita is a salad with yoghurt and dressing.
Adding of peanuts is optional. While adding , you can soak them in water and use, it gives the taste of fresh ones.