Rasam delight of good food
Published on June 9, 2015

After a few days of eating outside food, there  is no bigger delight than having a simple meal of rice and rasam at home. It is the daily requirement of many people in South India. Rasam, is the accompaniment used with plain rice. It is of thinner consistency when compared to sambar.

When the theme of our blog hop was chosen as Rasam, I was pondering over the many varieties of rasam. But, soon I realised that I had not put the basic version of rasam. So today, here I present to you a very tasty rasam. It is very popular in all regions of South India , with a slight variation.

Ingredients :

• Tuvar dal (split pigeon pea or arhar dal) 1 small cup

• tomato 2

• tamarind 1 small lemon sized ball

• ghee 1tsp

• mustard seeds 1/4tsp

• turmeric powder 1/4tsp

• asafoetida 1/4tsp

• rasam powder 2tsp

• water

• jaggery

• coriander

• curry leaves

Method :

• Cook the dal in pressure cooker with adequate amount of water. Add a little turmeric powder to it for proper cooking.

• Extract the pulp of tamarind.

• Take a pan and add the ghee to it. Add mustard seeds, when they splutter add the asafoetida and turmeric powder, along with it add the tomato pieces to it. Let cook by adding water and salt to it.

• When  cooked, add the tamarind pulp and rasam powder to it.  Let boil.

• Later, add the cooked dal to it by  mixing well.

• Add water to the required consistency .

• Allow to boil on a low flame.

• Curry leaves and chopped coriander enhance the taste of it.

• Hot rasam ,delight of good food is ready to serve. Tastes best with steaming hot rice and ghee for those who love to indulge.

To make it gluten free, do not add asafoetida to it. I hope you liked this simple cooking of mine. Subscribe to this blog to get all updates. Do share it on your social network.

1. Anupama

couldn’t agree more Jayashree. the comfort rasam brings is something to be experienced. kids too LOVE rasam. looks lovely and inviting with the coriander 🙂 wish I could eat it 🙂

Thankyou Anu, sailing in the same boat

2. marudhuskitchen

I can drink a glass full of this so warming and comforting

Vani, thanks for making my day

3. kushi

simple and very delicious recipe dear!Yummy!

4. shubha

Pass me a glass ful of this Rasam J.. So totally agree with you nothing beats a hot rasam rice.. so totally comforting:)

5. pavan

what is rasam powder?

It is a blend of spices which we prepare and store in airtight containers. It consists of coriander seeds, pepper and cumin. Thankyou so much Pavan

6. Padma

I totally agree with you..that’s exactly what we do..back home after a holiday..dal and rasam..nothing more is what we crave for!!…I can totally finish off the delicious bowl of rasam dear!!

Thankyou so much Padma, we all seem to be liking rasam

7. Piyali

Love the clear radiant Rasam with the lovely garnishing and tempering. Looks so inviting. Truly would love to come home to this warm and awesome flavoured soup.

Many thanks Piyali for all the encouraging words..cheers

8. Sundari

Soothing and comforting rasam!! love it!!

Many thanks Sundari

1. Beetroot Garlic Lemon Rasam - Masalakorb - […] Jayashree’s Rasam Delight Of Good Food and Kattina Saaru Special Rasam […]