Today,various kinds of stuffed vegetables are prepared. South Indian cooking differs from its counterpart. Here, brinjal, ridge gourd, cucumber and bittergourd are usually made.Today, we take a look at the southern style of stuffed cooking. I am using cucumbers. Many may not be familiar with stuffed cucumber as this veggie is mainly used in salads.
- cucumber 1/2 kg
- fresh grated coconut 1 bowl
- bengal gram 1tbsp
- urad dal 1tbsp
- dry chilly 3
- green chilly 2
- coriander leaves 1/2 bowl
- cumin seeds 1tsp
- salt to taste
- oil 3tbsp
- asafoetida 1/4 tsp
- turmeric powder 1/4tsp
- mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
- Wash the cucumber and cut them into two or three pieces.
- Make an incision on four sides on each of them,keep aside.
TO MAKE STUFFING :
- Dry roast the bengal gram and urad dal and keep aside.
- Roast the red chilly with a little oil.
- Now ,grind these three ingredients along with green chilly, coriander, and cumin to a fine paste.
TO FILL THE VEGGIE :
Slowly, take a piece in the hand . Take a little of the filling and stuff it using hands. Take care, as they tend to break. Repeat for all pieces.
TO PREPARE :
Take a pan and make the seasoning. Slowly,add the stuffed veggie into it. Close it with a plate of water. This eases cooking. When tender, remove into a serving bowl. Stuffed cucumber is ready to be served.