Moong dal is used for various purposes in our daily cooking. From salads and dals to desserts, it finds its place in some form or the other. Today, I present a traditional Indian sweet dish. Payasa is a sweet preparation usually of medium consistency, which are made of numerous kinds.
Moong dal, which is obtained from yellow split lentil, is a rich source of protein and has cooling properties.With summer fast approaching,one can prepare this dish. It is a preparation which can be used along with the food or as a dessert.
- moong dal 1 cup
- jaggery grated 1 cup
- milk 1/2 cup
- cardamom powder 1/4 tsp
- cashewnuts 6
- ghee 1/2 tsp
- Take a thick bottomed vessel and boil about three-fourth litre of water.
- When the water boils, wash the moong dal and put into it. Let cook by closing a lid half- open.
- Adjust the water acccordingly, the required consistency is medium.
- When cooked, add the jaggery and milk and let boil for sometime.
- Roast the cashews in ghee and put into it.
- Lastly,add cardamom powder and serve.
To make it vegan :
Replace milk with almond milk and microwave the cashews.
Subscribe to get an useful e-book now !