It’s usual to prepare sweets on festive days. Vermicelli payasam or Kheer is very popular down south. It is made by boiling vermicelli in milk and garnished with dry fruits. The milk is boiled to a thick consistencu. Thus, it is a delicious preparation of roasted vermicelli in thick milk base.
- milk 1 litre
- vermicelli 1 cup
- sugar 1 cup or 200 grams
- cardamom powder
- saffron strands
- dry fruits as cashew, almonds and raisins
- ghee 2tsp
- Take a teaspoon of ghee and roast the vermicelli along with dry fruits on a slow flame. Keep stirring with two ladle, until brown in colour. Take care not to burn them.
- Boil milk with saffron until it reduces to three-fourth of the quantity.
- Now,add the milk to the vermicelli and let cook on a slow flame.
- Once the vermicelli is done,it floats on top. The sugar can now be added. Mix well and again let boil. This infuses taste and consistency to the sweet dish.
- Later, remove from flame and add cardamom powder.
- If you are adding raisins,its better to add at the end while roasting as they bloat up and get burnt easily.
- Boiling of milk is an essential step to get good results.