Biryani , a famous food of Hyderabad, is devoured by all. It is a Mughlai dish which was blended with many spices and veggies and cooked slowly over fire,mainly the non vegetarian way. Today, it is popular in the vegetarian cusine also. Here is one kind of it.
2 cups of uncooked basmati rice (aromatic long rice)
2 cups of assorted veggies as beans, carrots, cauliflower,potatoes and peas
3 green chillies
2 inch ginger
4 cloves garlic
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 stick of cinnamon
3 tbsp oil
½ cup curds or yoghurt
2 tbsp oil for cooking
Fresh chopped mint leaves
- Cook the rice with only two cups of water. It is partially cooked, on further cooking it will be evenly done.
- Cut veggies into small cubes.
- Grind onion, green chillies, ginger and garlic into a fine paste.
- Boil the vegetables in a pan. Add the potatoes, a little later as they should be a little firm.
- Make powder of clove, cinnamon and cardamom.
- Make puree of tomato and keep aside.
Cooking procedure :
- Now take oil in a pressure pan and add the paste of onion. Saute it till light pink in colour.
- Then add the pound spices and continue to sauté.
- Later add turmeric powder, coriander powder and chilli powder.
- Add tomato puree,mint leaves and yoghurt and continue to blend the mixture.
- As the aroma spreads add the boiled veggies, and the partially cooked rice.
- Close the lid and allow to cook on a slow flame.
- Once done, mix the rice well as the masala needs to blend well.
- Garnish with caramalised onions.
- Biryani is ready to serve.
To make caramalised onions :
Cut onions into thin long pieces. Take oil in a small pan and add the onions. Saute them until dark brown in colour. Be careful as they tend to get burnt easily.
To Serve :
Serve biryani garnished with onions along with a salad of your choice.
HAPPY COOKING !!!
If you have liked this recipe, subscribe to get an ebook and all recipes in your inbox.