Green gram is widely used in South India to make as an accompaniment with jowar roti or chapati. It is mixed with a few spices and cooked well. It is often made as it is healthy and makes a good substitute for the regular veggies.
The ingredients that you need are :
- greengram 1 bowl
- onion 2
- green chilles 3
- ginger 1inch
- coriander leaves half bunch
- oil 2tsp
- cumin seeds 1/4tsp
- asafoetida 1/8tsp
- turmeric powder 1/8tsp
- salt to taste
- Cook the green gram in a pressure cooker.
- Grind coriander leaves,ginger and green chillies to a fine paste.
- Cut onions into small pieces.
- Heat oil in a kadai,add the mustard seeds. When they crackle add asafoetida , turmeric powder and the onions. Saute till light pink. Add the paste and salt and mix well. Now ,add the cooked green gram to it and mix well. Simmer for five minutes.
- Serve with chapati or jowar roti.